[rescue] mozilla q

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sun Mar 30 16:05:14 CST 2003

> I know this isn't hardware related... but it is rescue related (as in
> rescuing my sanity :-) ).
>
> I'm sick to death of not being able to have a reliable browser.  As it
> stands I run the Opera beta for Solaris for some stuff and Moxilla for
> other stuff.

I've had the same complaint for some time now. I refuse to put IE on a Solaris box, though I hear it it available. I have used Netscape on Linux, but it crashed several times daily. (Advantage here is that it didn't crash the OS, like IE on Windows.)

Mozilla was better, but *slow* espeically for reading mail. (Slow like it took over 15 seconds just to start composing a new message.)

My current solution ins sylpheed-claws for mail and (thanks to a suggestion on this list, I think) phoenix for browsing. Phoenix does the neat tabbed-browsing thing, but is faster than Mozilla. I have had a couple of problems, mostly with java plugin stuff, but it's not important enough that I care.

I'm also doing this all on a 110 MHz SS5 and a dual 85 MHz SS20, so I'm asking a lot of the software and the hardware...