[rescue] Indy Questions....

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Sat Mar 15 19:34:58 CST 2003

Hey

I picked up a SGI Indy out at the computer fest today, scraped the dust
outta it, and low and behold it works...

R4600PC 133Mhz/256MB/XL24/2x1.0GB and two Cyclone Colorbus cards(?)

Now I got a couple of questions.  (I think its been 24hrs since I last
peeked out from under my rock. :-)  )

The biggest question I've got:  Anyone know what these Cyclone Colorbus
cards/software are good for?  I gather they're some sort of printer
interfaces, but beyond that I've little idea what they're good for?

Recommendations on the OS?   I've access to 6.5.15, and 6.2, or shall I
keep my eye open for 5.3.

I see there's a copy of photoshop 3.0, and a license installed I should
make certain I keep copies of, beyond that any other recommendations on
what to backup?

I suspect the Colorbus software is going to be toast if I decide to
upgrade, as I've no way of re-loading it.  (Network backups aren't a
issue though)

Fortunately there's no root password on the box, so breaking in isn't a
problem. :-)

Oh, any thoughts on what CPU upgrade I should keep an eye out for I
gather the 4600PC's dont' have stellar performance due to lack of
cache...

Thanks,

David