[rescue] IBM 360/30 Saga

C. Magnus Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Jun 30 14:49:08 CDT 2003

On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 11:16 AM, Gavin Hubbard wrote:

> I was searching for something unrelated when I came across the
> following gem on the web. The author relates the epic rescue and
> single-handed restoration of an IBM S/360 system in the early > eighties.
>
> http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/nbree/saga.html

I started reading this and knew I had to come back to it later after
work.  Sounds like a good read.

On a related note, my employer is sitting on some cool hardware that
they just won't let go of.  I think they are collecting maybe.  There
is an S/390 that has been replaced with a newer mainframe.  $BOSS says
old mainframe is too expensive (licensing) to run so it is cheaper to
leave it sit there powered down.  There is a relatively late model
AS400 that is buried under a bunch of terminals in a storage closet,
having been bought and never /really/ put to use.  So it has been
powered down awhile.  There are also a couple of Sun E3500's which are
in various states of disuse.  Sooner or later something will have to be
done and I'll be there waiting.

My new place has three phase power and a 1200 square foot room just for
my hobbies so I'm ready & waiting. :)

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish