[rescue] Small RAID array setup

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 30 13:17:31 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 11:06:16AM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> I don't have an easy way to back up my fileserver, thereby relying
> on the "safety" of RAID 0 and RAID 5.

I'm going to have to do that too, and have bought 3 18GB disks to build
a raid with, hopefully combined with an existing 18GB drive I already
had.

The problem of course, is that raid can't protect you from failures in
the controller hardware and raid software/hardware.

For example, a buggy controller or raid card could write in wrong places
and screw the whole works.

Hopefully stuff like that is very well tested. Software raid has the
same possible issues.

On the bright side, its a rapidly maturing technology.

I use NetBSD's raidframe drivers, which seem to be pretty reliable.