[rescue] Small RAID array setup

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Jun 30 10:06:16 CDT 2003

This is probably a bit obvious... but...

The one thing to keep in mind about using hardware raid of any sort,
is keeping a spare controller....  as if your controller dies, it
stands directly between you and your data and no amount of RAID 0,
RAID 0+1, or RAID 1+0 will help.

I haven't redone my Solaris on Intel file server with hardware RAID
yet, but I am planning on it.... some time ago I bought two used
AMI Megaraid 1200 (I think that was the model) cards... one to use
and one for a spare.

Of course if you have copius amounts of tape storage to back up all
your data and don't mind rebuilding onto software raid, or simply
multiple disks... then having a spare may not be as important.

I don't have an easy way to back up my fileserver, thereby relying
on the "safety" of RAID 0 and RAID 5.

-- Curt