[rescue] Small RAID array setup

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 30 03:05:16 CDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:

> "Sheldon T. Hall" wrote:
> >
> > > This, however, is far more expensive alternatives for a "Small RAID
> > > array setup" than it's worth. Hence, a cheap hardware-RAID card in
> >
> > Can you suggest a "cheap hardware-RAID card" suitable for the Classic's
> > SBUS?
>
> Sorry, forgot it's just a Classic. And no, I don't know any
> hardware-RAID SBUS cards.
> (Though FWD-SCSI controllers, which in turn could go into an external
> Digital HSZ40 with disks, which turn up sometimes very cheap these days)

There are also some scsi raid "pods" that would connect effortlessly to
SCSI ports on the Classic (maybe get a SunSwift/S or the wide single-ended
scsi card) and then have scsi disks on the other side. Partnersdata.com
has some but I don't see much useful info on them on the website... might
have been discontinued.

CMD controllers are also available in various forms. Search ebay for "cmd
raid" ... there's a CRD-5500 up there now that's currently at $10 with
2d10h to go... 8 single-ended drive channels going to one wide
single-ended host channel. That's pretty cheap. It's hardware raid. And it
should work with the Classic's scsi ports (onboard or sbus) with
appropriate cabling.

Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com