[rescue] OT: IRIX 6.5 installation on a Indigo2 R10k Impact

Barry Fujii barry at engr.webpipeline.com
Sun Jun 29 23:41:46 CDT 2003

> From: dittman at dittman.net (Eric Dittman)
> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:11:57 -0500 (CDT)
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [rescue] OT: IRIX 6.5 installation on a Indigo2 R10k Impact
>
>> The only things I havent tried are changing from a regular ps/2 keyboard to
>> an sgi keyboard, same with the mouse. But my understanding is that both
>> should work, they seemed to work just fine with the old irix installation
>> and within the PROM command monitor. I have not tried setting the console to
>> serial yet, and would like to save that for a last effort.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas or insights into this?
>
> When I tried my monitors with them, one would work in any mode, but the
> other would only work when I broke off the ten little pins on my adapter.
> The adapter was a Sun adapter, and the three coax connectors are the same
> between the Sun and SGI 13W3, but the ten little pins carry different
> signals and the ones the SGI put out confused the monitor.

I will take the box up to my office where I have an sgi monitor on an indy
and give this a shot. The last time I removed a pin from my adapter, it no
longer worked for *anything* and was pretty P.O.'d.

This would be irritating if it was indeed a different signal when inst was
running because I bought this lcd monitor specifically from reputable.com
for sole use on my indigo and indys.

Btw, Eric, you can probably disregard the postcard UPS sent you. The moronic
UPS driver couldn't distinguish that 'room' and 'suite' were practically
synonyms. Upon redelivery he decided that 110 and 119 look too similar and
dropped my machine off at 'lucky surf' down the corridor. The best part was
when he dropped off about 30k worth of equipment to a *different* floor and
was lost for nearly a week.