[rescue] Re: G5 case

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 28 14:04:08 CDT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:10:09 -0500
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
>
> > Just FYI here, you can't use ps to determine how much memory X is
> > really using, because it includes all the memory mappings it makes
> > for not only all the frame buffer memory, but memory mapped I/O.
>
> Okay.  I didn't know that.  Let me see if I can get numbers for IRIX,
> which might have the same problem, anyway.

On an Octane with SE+TRAM, the Xsgi process occupies 34M with 11M
resident. This is a freshly restarted process, but with a default colour
depth of 24bits. According to gmemusage, the physical device occupies
0K.

Many (most?) SGI graphics hardware doesn't share memory space with the
main system at all.