[rescue] Re: G5 case

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jun 27 23:27:30 CDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 03:59:40PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> X isn't bloated.  Well, it is, but not in terms of feature creep:
>
>    PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE    TIME    CPU COMMAND
>  22908 root       1  59    0   53M   46M sleep    3:56  0.64% Xsun
>
> As much as I hate to say it, the GUI in Windows XP doesn't eat that much

Um, yes it mostly definitely does.

Usually X server memory sizes includes the mapping of the memory on the
graphics cards, plus all the graphics contexts, pixmaps, etc.

If you counted all of that for Windows, it would be roughly the same,
since its just a fact that a window system has to store some rather
large pieces of data.

On my system, X is 276MB, but that's 256MB of frame buffer mapping.