[rescue] Re: G5 case

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Jun 27 16:57:16 CDT 2003

"From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
"
"X isn't bloated.  Well, it is, but not in terms of feature creep:
"
"   PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE    TIME    CPU COMMAND
" 22908 root       1  59    0   53M   46M sleep    3:56  0.64% Xsun
"

just another data point...

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
  387 root       1  59    0   19M   13M sleep 825:17  5.58% Xsun

"As much as I hate to say it, the GUI in Windows XP doesn't eat that much
"memory, and these numbers are a -huge- improvement over older versions
"of Xsun that leaked memory like sieves.

how older?  mine's s2.6.

"However, that may largely be a Sun problem.  The numbers I'm getting
"from the AIX systems here are much nicer, but they also are just
"displaying the login banner instead of 10 rxvts and a window manager.

i've got a cmdtool console window, netscape[0] with two browser windows
and a mail window, opera, caltool, clock, dtterm with six ksh windows,
richpse, and perfmeter on my screen.

i run openwin because i've successfully locked cde up running
perfmeter.  several times.  and i hate that cde1 does not remember
icon locations for all time, though apparently cde2 has that fixed.

[0] 4.79, the last for 2.6.  i have mozilla 1.1, but it crawls so
slowly on this little critter that i thought -it- had locked the
system up.  and small?  forget it.  i like it on my mom's osx imac
though.