[rescue] Re: G5 case

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Jun 27 15:38:36 CDT 2003

On Friday 27 June 2003 20:07, Eric Dittman wrote:
> I'd just like to see something better than X.

Define "better". There has flown a lot of ink and bytes over the question
wether X isn't an old bloated piece of crap not adapted to todays' desktop
users' needs and if id needs to replaced.

What makes you wanna ditch X?

Btw, there ARE new guis in development. The most well-known are probably
Berlios (which doesn't seem to get anywhere) and DirectFB (which is
Linux-only, and made for digital television but also has its own windowing
system and a pretty fancy gui with transparancy stuff and a rootless X
server.)

Unfortunately I have not been albe to get a windowed system with DirectFB,
only a fullscreen GTK app (Gtk is ported to DirectFB).

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be