[rescue] Re: G5 case

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Jun 27 11:34:30 CDT 2003

> >> For all the slagging *BSD fans do on Linux I
> >> think it is ironic that there is a Linux
> >> compatibility layer.  If Linux sucks so bad
> >> why do *BSD people want to run Linux binaries?
> >
> > Troll!
> >
> > It's to avoid having to run Linux just because application
> > X has not been ported to FreeBSD...

Not a troll, just pointing out the irony.  "I hate Linux!  It
sucks!  I use only *BSD because there's nothing of value in
Linux."

Sure, just a small fraction are like that, but they are the most
vocal.  Kind of like the old ST and Amiga people that swore there
was nothing redeeming about the Mac but still bought the emulators.

> Yep, and we are very lucky that commercial vendors
> are releasing Linux versions of their software.

It would be even better if they would release versions for other
platforms.  There's not as much motivation when they can release
a Linux binary and "make do" on *BSD.

> Linux is a millitant dork lightning rod.  It keeps
> the slashdot types busy so they don't screw up
> our production OS's.  Eventually, any good
> features they come up with are adopted by *bsd,
> but with a careful though out development
> process.

There are militant dorks in all the OS camps.  Hell, OpenBSD is
lead by one.  There's even one that popped up on comp.os.vms a
year or so ago that is so militant he's can't even accept a
correction from one of the Compaq/HP OpenVMS engineers.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net