[rescue] Re: sun4c/sun4m support in l00nix and VSIMM for SS10SX same as for SS20?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jun 26 20:00:18 CDT 2003

"From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org>
"
"On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 06:26:11AM -0400, C. Magnus Hedemark wrote:
"> sun4c is dead.  sun4m is supported.
"
"BTW: I'm still running a Sun4c system -- a Sparc 2 with the Weitek
"upgrade and a 64M RAM board plugged into it, which is, I think about
"as maxxed out as it'll go.

brother!

i too have a 'ss2+' with 128M.  mighty slow these days but it ain't
broke.

which brings me to a sticky point:

"From: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net>
"
">From: adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
".
">i'd sure like to have a 10sx...  anyone in the ne corner of the
">hemisphere got one collecting dust?
"
"I have a SS10SXish system...  It is an SS10 chassis with a Sun SparcEngine
"20 mainboard out of an Aries Marixx SS.  Essentially SS20 electronics
"with an SS10 mainboard layout.  I've run it with a SS20 VSIMM... works
"nicely.
"
"I nicknamed it an SS15 :-)
"
"I was planning on keeping it, but interested parties can feel free to make
"an offer...as I'm currently not using it (no CPUs, no drives/memory, I do have
"8MB VSIMMS available).... make an offer with or without an 8MB VSIMM if
"you are interested.  IT is in excellent condition.

i'd love it - but my budget is -very- tight, and this isn't even a
complete system...

<sick idea>
a 10sx with two 8M vsimms, an avb modified to -not- need an sbus slot,
and four tx4+ - a six-headed sparc!
</sick idea>

"From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> [again]
"
"I'm also still running SunOS 4.1.4 on it,
"just for grins.  Well, and as a persistent curmudgeonly reaction
"against SunOS->Solaris. ;-)

i run s2.6 though.  i still have 4.1.4 but haven't touched it since my
original sun0424s croaked many moons ago.  i now have a pair of 4G
hawks - and i mirror my root with ods.

"BTW2: OpenBSD performs marvelously on Sun4c hardware.  Until I upgraded
"it recently, I had a Sparc 2 running BIND, sendmail, qpopper, and apache
"for a small office.  I booted it *once* when it went live, and it stayed
"up until 434 days later when I shut it down.

*bsd's what i'd run if i ever abandoned solaris2.  i don't stay up
that long though - i cron the sun tool to scan for patches and report,
every month, and run another script by hand to fetch all the patches i
don't already have.  every six months, i have a patch party.