[rescue] Re: G5 case

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 26 05:24:22 CDT 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Peter Corlett wrote:

> > My brother was living in England when I decided to buy a G4 iMac. The
> > prices in England were unreasonable, plus there was the VAT, which was
> > adding insult to injury, so my brother had the machine shipped to my
> > parent's house in Poughkeepsie, NY, and they just relabeled the box
> > (they didn't even open it) and shipped it to London. He saved
> > significantly more money by paying to have it shipped transatlantic
> > rather than paying the VAT + the higher prices.
>
> Looks like Customs missed it, but you should have paid 17.5% VAT on it
> when it came into the UK. I guess you *might* have been able to claim
> back the US sales tax in the process.

*shrug* I guess so.  I just know he didn't pay the VAT.  Just the 6.25%
New York Sales Tax.

> Didn't the different main voltages and the lack of warranty concern you?

Well, it wasn't me.  It was my brother.  He actually needed to do warranty
service once.  He decided to use the opportunity to visit home.  He
brought the machine with him.  The machine auto-switched mains voltage
without trouble,

Peace...  Sridhar