[rescue] Re: G5 case

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jun 26 04:06:51 CDT 2003

N. Miller <vraptor at promessage.com> wrote:
[...]
> I've installed Mandrake (in the past) and recently, Red Hat. I've only
> ever installed FreeBSD on that side. What I'd really like to see on all
> these installers is some common configurations like:

> 'loaded' scientific desktop
> 'loaded' development desktop
> 'loaded' generic desktop
> server
> firewall
> router
> DMZ mail
> DMZ dns
> minimum OS that runs
> etc.
> (more than just the desktop/server paradigm that you generally
> see)

Debian's "task" system does pretty much this. Under the hood, a task is
basically just an empty package that depends on all the software in a given
category.

Basically, on install, a list of tasks come up and you can select as many as
you like. This does at least save the newcomer to Debian being scared off by
the apalling dselect.

> Then you should have the opportunity to add *or* subtract stuff.

Well, unfortunately you have to dive into dselect at that point, unless you
know the name of the packages you want/don't want, in which case you can use
apt-get.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key