[rescue] Stupid Solaris Net Install Problem

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jun 26 00:31:39 CDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, N. Miller wrote:

> Gotcha--very similar mechanisms, but without the profiling.
> I haven't done net installs without jumpstart, so my only
> other suggestion:

> Have you done a snoop on the box with the network image
> to see what the 'installee' is asking for when it drops
> to the OK prompt?

> It may be that it's not getting the image mounted--permissions
> maybe?

I haven't done a snoop yet, but I did "boot net -v" and I can
SEE the steps it is going through.  It mounts the NFS mount
fine, it starts loading the initial kernel (not the bootloader,
but the real kernel) and I assume starts to run it and then
gives the "Divide by Zero" and drops to the "ok" prompt.

> Can you boot off of a CD on the installee and then mount the
> NFS (kind of obviates the need for the net install though).

Don't know how I'd get solaris to install from NFS rather
than the CD at that point...

--Kurt