[rescue] Re: G5 case

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 25 22:19:48 CDT 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Gavin Hubbard wrote:

> Heh. Now that I've had a chance to reflect I'm actually a bit
> embarrassed that I used such strong terms in my earlier post. Though
> fascist regimes are typically characterised by despotic rulers, cult of
> personality figureheads, uniformity, evil propaganda. and efficiency.
> Does this sound like any Cupertino based company that you know? :-P
>
> My dislike of Macs really boils down to an _intense_ hatred of System
> 7.5. I'm quite sure that Macs have improved immensely since then, but I
> no longer trust the company enough to risk my money finding out.

There's an easy way to deal with this.  Borrow someone else's late-model
Mac with OSX.  I'm sure you could find someone in NZ or AU who wouldn't
mind at least letting you play around with one.

> The fact that the only official Apple distributor in NZ charges up to
> 40% more than the US Apple store prices doesn't help either :-/

My brother was living in England when I decided to buy a G4 iMac.  The
prices in England were unreasonable, plus there was the VAT, which was
adding insult to injury, so my brother had the machine shipped to my
parent's house in Poughkeepsie, NY, and they just relabeled the box (they
didn't even open it) and shipped it to London.  He saved significantly
more money by paying to have it shipped transatlantic rather than paying
the VAT + the higher prices.

Peace...  Sridhar