[rescue] SparcCenter 2000E on Ebay

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Jun 25 21:20:08 CDT 2003

--On Wednesday, June 25, 2003 5:00 PM -0700 Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez
<lefa at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, N. Miller wrote:
>
>> It was not a paintball tactics class, it was a class on running
>> paintball fields/stores, referreeing, and airsmithing (hazmat +
>> fixing markers).  I don't need anyone to teach me basic infantry
>> squad level tactics, having played paintball for 5 years, and I
>> have the squad leader's handbook as above, should I need to talk
>> the talk. ;-)
>
> Sorry but as a poor SOB, who ACTUALLY had to be in the army (COEs, spec
> ops from spain) Paintball, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH REAL INFANTRY TACTICS.
> There I said it :).

Most paintball does not, but some paintball does.  :-)  Airball field
modern "tournament" paintball has only in common the notion of machine
guns. :-)  However, until you have seen a team of 6 guys complete an
complicated objective in the middle of the night with no night vision,
no smoke, and no accuracy beyond about 40-50 ft, I'd say you don't really
have an idea of what happens on some paintball fields.

> And during most military exercises we used the miles training system, none
> of that paint ball silliness :)

Explain to me how shining light at another person to knock them out
is more demonstrative than that "paintball silliness"?  Yes, lasers
can be used at longer distances (some would argue unreasonable distances
compared with the accuracy of most soldiers' weapons).  Laser systems
really don't work that well for night training, either.

Common foot soldiers will never see paintball incorporated into their
training--and likely very few combat units in other countries will.
However, in the US it is being used for some urban COB training.  Getting
hit with paintballs is about the closest demonstration that you did some-
thing wrong short of using live ammo.  There are too many training
accidents already for live ammo to be used in team against team situations.

Paintball gear gives you the opportunity to have team on team situations
which allows more creativity than against static mechanical/computerized
targeting systems, with the "shock" of a hit anywhere on your body taking
you out.  (My understanding is that MILES does not register hits on anything
other than the vest and headgear.)  Particularly in an urban COB situation,
where you are going to get hit with a 280fps paintball at less than 10
yards.
(I don't want to get hit with a paintball at 20 yards, much less from across
the room.)

And, as with everything, you have to use the right tool for the job.  Using
paintball in training is just another case of this.

=Nadine=