[rescue] Re: G5 case

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Jun 25 15:23:16 CDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Eric Dittman wrote:

> > I think part of your problem is you are expecting dist-upgrade to
> > change your kernel for you.  Won't happen.  It'll update what you
> > have running (provided you're using a stock kernel, if it's custom
> > it won't touch it), but won't change it to 2.4.  They had 2.4
> > packages available in stable at release, it just wasn't the
> > default.  Install a kernel-image-2.4.x image and you'll have it.

> Why won't dist-upgrade from stable to unstable upgrade the
> kernel?  Is 2.2 still the default kernel for unstable?

It will upgrade the kernel, it will upgrade the 2.2 kernel
to the most current.  Why won't it jump to 2.4?  Because
if you happen to be using a 2.2-specific feature, your
system will die.  Or start acting weird.

apt doesn't really take note of you going to "unstable", at
least not understanding the difference in word meanings...
it's just going to another version of the distribution.

--Kurt