[rescue] Re: G5 case

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 25 14:45:30 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 01:24 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:
>>>    Sometimes I think I'm the only person on earth that's seen
>>> lightning-fast Java applications.
>>
>> All day I deal with great Java software that's lightning fast.  Of
>> course,
>> it's all written in-house.
>>
>> That said, I don't find OpenOffice to be slow at all.  Perhaps my
>> defenition
>> of "slow" is different than other folks.
>
> I find starting any of the OO applications to be
> slow, but once they are started they seem okay to
> me.

   I'm of the opinion that OO *anything* is going to be slower than the
same application written in a procedural language.  Like it or not,
computers aren't object-oriented devices...they're entirely procedural.
  I believe that pretending they're not by using object-oriented
programming languages will nearly always result in inefficient use of
the hardware.

   The troubling part is, the kids being turned out of colleges as
"computer programmers" these days don't have any understanding of how
computers actually *work*...they've only been taught how to write code
in object-oriented languages, thinking that understanding the low-level
operations of computers is somehow "obsolete" or no longer necessary.
I've found that, in general, their idea of the "power" or usefulness of
a language is defined by how easy that language is to write code in.  I
shit-can resumes from kids like this every day.

           -Dave