GNOME (was: Re: [rescue] Re: G5 case)

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Wed Jun 25 14:26:07 CDT 2003

Time for some subject changes, folks...

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 09:37, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Re: G5 case
> Date: 25 Jun 2003 11:56:34 -0400
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:19:22AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I wish there were a project on the net for X-only applications.  So many
> > X projects have died due to the move to KDE and Gnome.
> >
> > I hate to say this, but I'd rather seem Motif than either. It had a lot
> > of thorns, but at least it could have been ONE projec to back instead of
> > two redundant ones in a feature-war.
>
> Amen, brother.
>
> And have you ever tried to *update* Gnome?  On a pleasure level, I'd

Yes, I have.  I've maintained a couple of GNOME binary distributions
too.  I'm quite familiar with the pain involved.

> rate it somewhere between pulling fingernails and having your intestines
> removed through your left ear.  The cross-dependencies in the tree are
> hideous, and mostly undocumented.

They are not by any means undocumented, and haven't been any time in the
past year and a half or so.  There is a simple list at
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2/notes/rninstallation.html#rninstallationorder
which will tell you how to put things together if you want to build the
whole shebang.
At http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/jhbuild/modulesets/ you can find some
XML files, along with a DTD, which contain a list of the modules for
various GNOME releases, and their dependency information.  It'd be easy
enough to parse that out into a tree, and it is kept up to date.  The
scripts up one directory from there assume that you're building from
CVS.
Last but not least, there is GARNOME.  It's pretty much a 'ports' style
distribution of GNOME.  Not really useful as a list (certainly the other
two are better), but you could pull the list out of it if you were in to
pain.  http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/

> Hell, there's even circular dependencies in there.

Uhm...  Where?
	Greg

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]