[rescue] Re: G5 case

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jun 25 14:03:56 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 14:50, Eric Dittman wrote:
> Crossover Office is the same as the emulation layer some
> operating systems have been using for a while, like Linux
> with the old SCO emulation layer (which SCO bitched about
> at one time; I don't know if they ever embraced it, but I
> doubt it) and *BSD with the Linux emulation layer.

Not at all.

BSD's compatibility layer is implemented in the kernel, it translates syscalls
and such. This only works because these linux apps would theoretically
compile and run on BSD natively.

Wine is a userspace application that links window binaries and libraries and
implements large parts of the Windows API.

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be