[rescue] Re: G5 case

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 25 12:00:17 CDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Peter Corlett wrote:

> That's funny, because whenever I look at a Solaris system, the admin has
> usually given up with the base tools, and installed half of the GNU
> utilities which are altogether rather less sucky.

That's a matter of opinion.  I use the vendor's tools whenever possible,
unless there's some stupid piece of third-party software that relies on
non-POSIX behavior present in the GNU tools.

> > With *BSD, I do a cvs update, a make world, and reboot.
>
> # apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Wait a moment, and it'll download and install all the security patches.
> Reboot, what's that? Recompile world? Sod that, the machine isn't fast
> enough.

Packages and snapshops are available for people that don't want to tune
the distribution specifically for their hardware.

> You might want to check out Gentoo Linux if you're attached to building
> world.

Been there, checked it out, wasn't impressed.  I like Slackware a lot
better.

> Since the source code for VMware's kernel patch for Linux is published, I
> had assumed that somebody would had ported it to *BSD by now. I've certainly
> heard people claim they're running it just fine.

They might be, now.  I last checked into this possibility about August
or July of last year.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren