[rescue] Re: G5 case

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 25 10:19:22 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 07:56:33AM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:

> One problem with GNOME is all the dependencies that
> are finding there way into other programs, so when
> you want to update a text-only tool you find yourself
> being asked to install several megs of GNOME stuff.

Definitely.

The same seems to be true, but slightly less so, of KDE apps.

I don't really care that much about integration, and see it has some
serious drawbacks too.

If all these people would just agree on data formats and protocol,
integration could be done without the bloat, IMHO.

I wish there were a project on the net for X-only applications.  So many
X projects have died due to the move to KDE and Gnome.

I hate to say this, but I'd rather seem Motif than either. It had a lot
of thorns, but at least it could have been ONE projec to back instead of
two redundant ones in a feature-war.

I can't believe its 2003 and UNIX still doesn't have a coherent GUI
system.