[rescue] Re: G5 case

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Jun 25 10:29:02 CDT 2003

> However, I feel that the administration of redhat is far from polished
> and seemless.  This may get me a curmudgeon label, but if anything, I
> feel that Redhat 6.x was more polished and seemless than Redhat 7.3 is.
> BTW, we are using Redhat 7.3 because Redhat 9.0 is too new, and 8.0 was
> junk.  8.0 hopelessly broke a lot of software we needed. 9.0 fixed most
> of that, but there are still issues.  We are, in fact, considering a
> move to RHAW, which is basically 7.3, so no complaints from the gallery
> about holding outdated products against Redhat.

I don't have problem with administration of 7.x or 9.x, but
I don't use the eye-candy GUI tools.

> Anyway, I much prefer admining my redhat 6.2 machine than I do these
> Redhat 7.3 machines.  I never had trouble with Redhat 6.2 stomping over
> my modified configuration files like Redhat 7.3 does (repeatably, if I
> modify resolve.conf, it reverts upon the next reboot.  If it is going to
> do that, then the file should have a comment in it that says it is going
> to be reverted and a pointer to where they now want me to modify those
> settings)...

I've never had this problem, no matter how many times I've updated
the files.

>  Also, I have so far failed to figure out how to deal with
> configuring the box in question (a server, BTW) without having X11
> running locally on it because I'm being forced to use there
> configuration utilities (like instead of just editing resolve.conf), and
> they don't have CLI equivolents that I can find) and I can't pipe them
> over the network due to some setting being fubared (the setting being
> fubared is probably not Redhat's fault, I just hold it against them that
> I need a graphical console on a server until the setting is fixed).

This is another problem I've never had, once I got past the
inherent inability of most x86 system to configure the BIOS
without a video card.  I use a serial console on some of
my systems, and I always configure everything with the CLI
tools.  My main configuration tool for RedHat (and Solaris,
Tru64, etc.) is vi.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net