[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary, Cube Computers

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Jun 25 09:39:51 CDT 2003

 Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 writes ...
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 08:10:00PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> >
> > I wonder which is louder, the Challenge or the 3Com
> > 3C17700 I have?  The 3Com is louder than the Octane.
> > Hell, the 3Com is louder than the Alphaserver 4100!
>
> I think the sound of several Fujitsu 5.25 full height, 1GB drives
> would beat all of them.  I used to have one in a NextCube and called a
> friend to reboot it where it was located.  He walked across the room
> and rebooted the system, then walked back and picked up the phone.  I
> could hear the drives spin up over the phone.

I have a couple of full-height, 5.25", 1-gig HP drives that have a most
impressive start-up sound.  It's not so much the really long wind-up,
though; it's the loud "DING!" they emit when they're up to speed.  At one
point I had both of them in the same machine, and the harmony of the dual
wind-up, climaxed by the "DING-DING" at the end, made it lots'o'fun to power
up.

-Shel