[rescue] Re: G5 case

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Jun 25 08:30:03 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:46:23PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:

> I find RedHat to be very polished and seamless.  It also
> has a much better installation process compared to either
> NetBSD or OpenBSD (I haven't looked at FreeBSD for a
> while).  With RedHat I can fine tune what is installed
> during the installation process if I want, or I can
> select sets that have the commonly-used packages already
> included.  With NetBSD and OpenBSD I got the feeling of
> "PLOP!" as each set was installed.  After that, there
> was a lot of going out and grabbing what I needed and
> installing it, rather than getting the chance to specify
> everything I wanted and then walking away and letting
> the installer go with it.

I agree with your assesment of NetBSD and OpenBSD.  I feel that
assesment also applies to Solaris, and I do appreciate how Redhat comes
with the stuff I want out of box and I can configure it to leave the
rest out.  The same applies to Debian.

However, I feel that the administration of redhat is far from polished
and seemless.  This may get me a curmudgeon label, but if anything, I
feel that Redhat 6.x was more polished and seemless than Redhat 7.3 is.
BTW, we are using Redhat 7.3 because Redhat 9.0 is too new, and 8.0 was
junk.  8.0 hopelessly broke a lot of software we needed. 9.0 fixed most
of that, but there are still issues.  We are, in fact, considering a
move to RHAW, which is basically 7.3, so no complaints from the gallery
about holding outdated products against Redhat.

Anyway, I much prefer admining my redhat 6.2 machine than I do these
Redhat 7.3 machines.  I never had trouble with Redhat 6.2 stomping over
my modified configuration files like Redhat 7.3 does (repeatably, if I
modify resolve.conf, it reverts upon the next reboot.  If it is going to
do that, then the file should have a comment in it that says it is going
to be reverted and a pointer to where they now want me to modify those
settings).  Also, I have so far failed to figure out how to deal with
configuring the box in question (a server, BTW) without having X11
running locally on it because I'm being forced to use there
configuration utilities (like instead of just editing resolve.conf), and
they don't have CLI equivolents that I can find) and I can't pipe them
over the network due to some setting being fubared (the setting being
fubared is probably not Redhat's fault, I just hold it against them that
I need a graphical console on a server until the setting is fixed).