[rescue] Re: G5 case

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 24 18:16:24 CDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Is actually anyone here buying a Mac for the *hardware*?

I bought it because it meant I could work on Unix stuff and run
Microsoft Excel at once, instead of having to reboot between using the
two.

I'll buy a new Mac just as soon as my trusty old Pismo can't do
something that I need it to do.  For a machine that's over three years
old, it stays the course surprisingly well.

> I would just try osX on it for fun to see what it's like, I
> wouldn't think about Really Using it though.

Try it.  You'll be surprised.  Install Apple's X11 and RXVT and it's all
over.  It kicks the shit out of Linux and OpenBSD in terms of just
general usability and stability.  I still use my Octane and my Indigo2
daily, though.

Truth be told, I'd probably use my Mac less if it were a desktop, but
having a Unix-alike on the road with me is lovely in a way that Linux
on my previous laptop never was.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren