[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary, Cube Computers

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue Jun 24 17:19:05 CDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Wasn't Intel talking up a planned i860-based PC at one point, as the
> successor to the 486?  I remember reading about it at the time,
> comparing the specs on the CPUs, and realizing that the i860 would
> have the potential to totally blow the 486 and the 68000 out of the
> water.

Now, this could've been someone spouting off nonsense but...

The guy I bought my first sparc from 8 or 9 years ago told me
a story about either an i860 or i960 (probably 860) workstation
he had designed and wanted to go into production with.

However, Intel kept him from going forward [0] because the
edict came down that the i860 would've cut into the lucrative
i486 chip and thus the i860 was ONLY to be used for embedded
applications.

--Kurt

[0] It's been a long time, so I'm not sure exactly how they
kept him from going forward, but I think they may have
restricted his chip supply or something...