[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary, Cube Computers

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Jun 24 14:55:21 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:43:10PM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> Not really, since the only sort of widespread NeXTBus board available was
> the NeXTDimension anyways. So you had 3 empty NeXTBush slots, but not
> boards to put in them, so BFD. The HDD space was also not that
> spectacular.

Yes, but if I recall correctly, you could put at least 2 drives in the
Next cube.  One, of course, would be the harddrive, and you had several
options of what I understood to be normal drives (as opposed to Apple's
Cube that would only fit their custom made drives) to choose from.
Also, while almost nobody used Nextbus, other than to add the ND, at
least the option was there, and I believe that it was supposed to be
an easy bus to develop boards for.  Did that slabs use the Nextbus?
That might have had a lot to do with why it didn't take off, since the
cubes were pretty low volume.

> Actually the configuration is really close to modern Octanes, IMHO.
> However like the Octane, I believe the machine was horribly inefficient
> when it came to the use of its volume. The fact that there is not internal
> 5.25 bay in the Octane is a crime IMHO, as well as the rounded top, with
> is uneven enough not to allow to place any external storage on top of ht
> machine. That is strike 2 for that machine, and the loud ass powersupply,
> strike 3!!!! But I still love mine just the same :) (strike 4 is the ugly
> ass green color ugh)

Loud machines seems to be the machine lovers lot in life.  I love some
of my gear, but it is oh so loud in my tiny apartment.