[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Jun 24 13:12:02 CDT 2003

> However good the new G5 is (and it looks really impressive, no question
> of that), I personally continue to think Apple will remain nothing but a
> niche player as long as it remains a single-source supplier.

I believe that is their plan, so what is wrong with that. As long as they
are making profits, they are doing a good job.

Yeah, I wish I could afford their computers, but I am afraid that in the
end you get what you pay for. I'd wish I would be able to buy a nice BMW M
or Audi S. Alas I do not see either company "hurrying" to compete with
Kia. Last I heard both Audi and BMW were quite profitable companies,
whereas KIA had some major financial troubles.

I believe apple's philosophy is on the whole "value added" computing
experience, rather than on the "box pushing" experience. Both are
legitimate business approaches, you just need to pick and choose what you
want. However if you want the "value added" computing experience with the
price point of the "box pushing" approach in the end you will end up with
neither. Reality can be cruel sometimes... but in the end it always
prevails.