[rescue] G5 case

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jun 24 12:25:48 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 01:17 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> I don't get it.  You'd be against having a *nix based OS with the OSX
>> interface on a PC?  Personaly I'd love to put that onto a 1.4Ghz PC or
>> similar.  Am I missing the point?
>
> It would eliminate any reason for Apple to have their own (nice)
> hardware.
>
> Look at what happened to NeXT.

   ...and Be, and countless others.  "We have great hardware, mediocre
software, and a steadily growing user base...hey, let's port our
software to PCs!"

   Turn the page...dead company, and great hardware gets reduced to a
historic curiosity, and the mediocre software gets forgotten about
because it isn't a VB app that runs under Windows.

   In Apple's case, the software is great, but this move would place
them squarely in competition with things like Linux...which, like it or
not, is getting really good press as a desktop OS.  It'd removed
Apple's best competitive edge...the COMBINATION of great modern
software and great high-performance hardware.  Splitting that
combination will result in two pieces worth far less than 50% each.

         -Dave