[rescue] G5 case

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jun 24 12:19:52 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 01:06 PM, flinters wrote:
>>> porting OS X to the PC as a real product.  That has real potential.
>>
>>    Yeah, the potential to destroy any possibility for GOOD mainstream
>> low-end computer hardware.  I hope they buy a clue and put a bullet in
>> that project before it goes too far.
>
> I don't get it.  You'd be against having a *nix based OS with the OSX
> interface on a PC?  Personaly I'd love to put that onto a 1.4Ghz PC or
> similar.  Am I missing the point?

   Yes.  Between their later machines and OSX, Apple has the potential
to trounce the PC industry...and they're doing it in leaps and bounds.
The megahertz myth has people actually believing that Apple has a
smaller market share because their machines are "slower" (because more
megahertz is faster!) than PCs.  Thing is, people go to the Apple
Stores and play with OSX, fall in love with it, buy a Mac, then realize
that despite their lower clock rates the Macs are typically a LOT
faster than even the fastest PCs...and never touch PC hardware again.

   Thus, a convert is born, and another
gotta-have-more-megahertz-every-six-months PC sale is lost...and the
percentage of quality hardware installed in the mainstream desktop
world gets bumped up another notch, making the lives of tech guys like
us a lot nicer.

   With OSX on PCs, there'd be very little to motivate *uneducated*
people to look at Mac hardware...and the mainstream (i.e. buy it in
Best Buy) computing world will be stuck with the same shit hardware.

          -Dave