[rescue] Hackers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 05:26:56 CDT 2003

--- Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:16:32PM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> > And how did you hang up the phone? I had to physically touch the
> > phone to terminate the call... (yes, a relay/moter contraption
> > could have worked, but they didn't show that... I don't think
> > a modem could generate the 2600 Hz tone needed to hang up the
> > phone...)
>
> No idea... I just worked in a shop, 5-10 modems on a high shelf, they
> dialed remote cash registers for sales data. I thought I remembered
> them having couplers, but it was 14 years ago.

14 years ago, acoustic couplers were very *un-common* - you have to go
back over 20 years for them to be common... Think TRS-80s, Apple ][,
S-100 machines, etc... That era.

In 1990, direct connect modems (hook into phone lines) were much more
common - acoustic coupler modems never really got above 300 baud, but
there have been some unique ways of going faster (like email devices
that "strap-on" to the phone receiver, etc.) though...

=====
Lionel