[rescue] Spreadsheets

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 24 00:43:05 CDT 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> BTW, for many, many years, Excel was a rather rogue project at MS.  They
> even went so far as to maintain their own compilers for use developing
> Excel rather than use the ones MS provided.

They also had not a small hand in developing most of the technology that
the rest of Office and, to a degree Windows, borrowed:

  3D controls (used in WinNT and Win3.1 and later refitted in the
     "Chicago" user interface)
  Visual BASIC for Applications.
  Almost all the "intellisense" automatic stuff.

It's no conincidence that Excel has always been the most-polished
product of the Office suite.  I still use it.  It's the only MS product
I use for actual work on my stuff.  There's no free software that can
touch it.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren