[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Mon Jun 23 16:51:24 CDT 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> So the G5 wasn't a hoax afterall!!!!! Now, food or computer, food or
> computer... tough decision :). I guess I still can lose a little bit of
> weight....

I had a full-body shiver when I saw the damn thing.  I just want to run my
fingers over that grill (or "cheese grater" as some friends called it).

Sigh.  Remember the old maxim, "the computer you want always costs
$5,000."  Well, load up a new G5 and you're pushing $13K...

Hmmm... Thirteen more CS6400's, or one G5... Thirteen more CS6400's or one
G5... :-)

At least I could afford the power for the new Mac.

Speaking of which... not to distract from the highly lustworthy new G5 and
steer things slightly more Rescueward... the building manager here offered
me a deal:  $600/mo for a large cage (~ 300sq ft) in the basement for the
Suns and Cray, _including power_ if it's "reasonable".  If he'll throw in
a fiber drop and give me a six month term on the lease I might go for it -
at least I can keep one of the 2000E's up 24x7 as a development box, and
fire up the big dog on the weekends. :-)  (Now I just need 500 friends to
send me $1/mo for shell accounts!  Heh heh.)

So, a quick semi-serious survey:  what percentage of your net income goes
toward electricity before the innocent hobby of restoring old computers
becomes a dangerous obsession? :-)  It wouldn't seem so nutty if I made a
living off that equipment, I guess, but for purely research and history
and entertainment purposes, for the "Because it was there!" factor, where
do you draw the line?

I probably crossed into madness when I bought the damned thing, so
everything beyond that just naturally follows.  The six month lease term
would match up with my little company running out of money and the start
of my first real vacation in years - "working for the state" doesn't sound
so bad, although without the paycheck the Cray would have to be the first
expense I'd cut.

Still, I need to loosen up a little, enjoy it while I can!  And stock up
on canned goods and ammo for when the money runs out and they come to take
away my beautiful colo space...  "I told you I'd shoot but you didn't
believe me!  WHY didn't you believe me!?!?"

-- Chris