[rescue] Rescued IPC -> SS5-85 critter

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Mon Jun 23 16:36:31 CDT 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Robert Novak wrote:

> I picked up a pair of IPCs this weekend, one of which has been upgraded to
> a MicroSPARC II 85mhz cpu (I'm guessing Cycle 5-IP board). Alas, it seems
> to have AUI ethernet and mini-DIN serial.

Nice score.  I'd love one of those... lunchbox size, sparc 5 performance...

> Anyone know offhand if the db25 that is in the "frame buffer" space on the
> back is parallel, or serial? I don't think they'd have been generous
> enough to do mini-DIN and db serial, but I do think the guy included a
> suitable mini-DIN to null modem cable (if I can remember where I stuffed
> it in the car).

If you can't find one, I should be able to spare a mini-DIN to DB25
adapter.  One of the official sun ones too =)

> Also, looks like it can take 224MB with 8x4MB 30pin and 6x32MB 72pin, all
> true parity? Any noteworthy performance issues with mixing them?

I'm guessing, but it shouldn't make a difference.  I'm sure the
required grouping of RAM (like adding 30pins in groups of 4) would
take care of most issues...

--Kurt