[rescue] A bit of Fun

Steve Pacenka s.pacenka at verizon.net
Sun Jun 22 20:05:17 CDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 15:45, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I have a pair of Mac IIci machines in working order.  Put them on a
> shelf in the closet for the time being.
>
> I really wish you could get machines in this form factor now.
>
> The current crop of small PC systems really isn't the same, with cramped
> and difficult cases by comparison.

A difference between the CX/ci and todays's micro ATX (and mini-ITX)
machines is that everyone wants a 5 1/4 optical drive inside their PC
cases.  That either enlarges the case a lot or makes things very
cramped.  Those Apples could fit a hard drive and floppy drive inside
their small case easily, leaving CD drives outside via SCSI.

There there is the LC form factor.  I'm using an LC III as a file server
at the moment for the portability.  Not counting the feet to hold the
thing off the table for air circulation, it's about two inches high with
about the same footprint as a CX/ci.  Apple squeezed in two drive bays,
an expansion slot (in my case with an ethernet card), a little
motherboard with SCSI, framebuffer, serial, and ADB, a 30W power supply,
and a cooling fan.  The drives snap in.  Another thoughtful case.

-- SP