[rescue] Catching up - Mach/Lunas, 2000Es, PPC/88k stuff

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sun Jun 22 08:47:35 CDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 03:53:00AM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> > And sorry to have so many questions, I believe the Perqs also had their
> > own windowing system, right? And I also believe that CMU had some work
> > on windowing systems I dunno if they were related with the W effort in
> > Stanford (which begat X, wonder where X got its name :) ). But I
>
> Wasn't the kernel called V?  Accent was one of a number of highly
> interesting research projects, along with Amoeba, Spring, Chorus, Sprite,
> V, Plan 9, and others - along with the explosion of new chip architectures
> in those days, OS research was in its heyday too... which makes the rise
> of the Wintel cartel even more depressing.

Perhaps you can be less depressed when you realize that Amoeba had
Guido van Rossum working on it, his language Python is a direct result
of trying to make a scripting language for the Amoeba.

Chorus got bought by Sun I believe.  No idea what happened to them.

The Andrew project had this guy named James Gosling who worked on it.
He went on to design and implement NeWS (download running code as you
need it in the language of PostScript) and Java (downloadable apps for
settop boxes was the original goal).

Now of course we do have "Gatesinator 3: The Rise of the Wintel
Machines" so we can't do the Snoopy dance yet :-)

--Patrick