[rescue] A bit of Fun and OT

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Jun 20 20:46:33 CDT 2003

--On Friday, June 20, 2003 1:50 PM -0700 Lionel Peterson
<lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>> On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 02:15 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>
>> > Duh. It might influence Nadine's appreciation of your exterior
>> > qualities? :)
>>
>>    Hmm.  I fear that, these days, less detail is better where I'm
>> concerned, my friend. ;)

Cute is nice, but reasonably intelligent and can talk about something
other than computers (at least occasionally) is required.  Cute does
not last.

> Yes, Black & White is more "artistic" (I hear chic's dig that, along
> with "man-made" omlettes (or any other meal) and an appreciation of
> Jazz...

I like B&W, but only by photographers who know how to use it to good
effect (I am an amateur--I always used it b/c I like to take pics of
people and hate the intrusiveness of flash).

And I appreciate a good cook, regardless of gender or species. :-)
As for Jazz, however, naaah.  I dated a Jazz musician once.  He had
absolutely no cultural context for Jazz, and knew nothing of pop
culture (he was a software/math geek for his "day job").  A real
turn-off.

It kind of wigs me out when I meet people that are so single-minded about
their geekness that they *can't* talk about anything else.  As Heinlein
said, "Specialization is for insects."

I've always been of the mind that all humans should know how to survive.
It annoys the heck out of me when I meet versions that are just like
the robots in factories--the only difference being their robotic function
is to write TCP/IP code, design ASICs, or whatever.  What difference is
there between sitting in a cube for the rest of your working days being
mechanical and standing on an assembly line being mechanical, other than
the climate control?

> But then again, I've been (happily) out of the "scene" for about ten
> years (as of two weeks ago!)

Congrats.  The husband-unit and I will be at 10 next August.  Given what
we have been through lately, I think this one will be lasting.

<obrescue>A buddy who started working as an itinerant network/system
installer (Kansas City, KS, working for Dell) has a line on some Macs
they took out of service.  B&W's mostly, with some G4s.  If interested,
drop me a line.  It'll probably be a couple of weeks.</obrescue>

=Nadine=