[rescue] Re: VSIMM for SS10SX same as for SS20?

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jun 20 16:12:25 CDT 2003

>Got a question, and after some unclear search results, figured I'd ask here.
>
>Are the VSIMM's for a SS20 the same as the VSIMM's for a SS10SX?
>Also, looking at the SS10SX I have, whether it could take TWO VSIMM's
>(it looks like there are two VSIMM slots....)  The configuration manual's
>weren't all that clear if I could put 2 4mb (and be equivalent to 1 8mb)
>(they do mention that you need an "AVB (Auxiliary Video Board) card"
>(which I suspect isn't something easily found...) if I put a VSIMM in slot 5.
>(does this mean you get 2 cgfourteen's?)
>
>It SOUNDS like one should load the biggest VSIMM in the one slot...

The VSIMMs for SS10 and SS20 are different speeds. The SS20 VSIMM will work in a SS10 but not the other way around.

The two VSIMM sockets are connected to two independent framebuffers. One of them has a built socket on the chassis, the other requires a separate part called the auxiliary-video-board or AVB and this is a fairly rare part. Two 4MB VSIMMs is not the same as one 8MB VSIMM.

FWIW the built-in CG14 is the best video option available for the SS20 (but you probably know that).

Regards,

Gavin