[rescue] SparcCenter 2000E on Ebay

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 20 14:41:07 CDT 2003

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 03:37 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

>> approximately-level playing field, but having some commercial site
>> with
>> bandwidth out the wazoo that you can tell to bid on your behalf two
>> seconds before the end of the auction is just unfair.
>
> again, bandwidth is not likely the issue.... but if someone has an OC12
> connection, they probably have good routes... which is more important.

   Indeed...Phil mentioned cable modems, which typically have nearly NO
outgoing bandwidth, which is the important part for sniping.  So it's
definitely not those guys in particular.

> If they extended the end of the auction by 30 seconds whenever a high
> bid
> is displaced that would make sniping almost impossible....  would
> probably
> drive pricing up a bit, and allow ebay to make more money (% on closing
> price).... wonder why they haven't done it... ??? :-)

   ...because it would SERIOUSLY piss off everyone (like me) who
frequently uses eBay to get stuff at a fraction of its market value.

          -Dave