[rescue] Re: SparcCenter 2000E on Ebay

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jun 20 14:07:42 CDT 2003

>On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 02:10 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>> Second to that would be a 1000E.  Takes up much less space, does not
>> need
>> a truck freight carrier, and packs a lot of punch (for the time) in a
>> "desktop" enclosure.
>>
>> Unless you want to do more than 8 processors, I'd recommend the 1000E.
>>  The
>> big difference between the 1000E and 2000E is the number of system
>> boards
>> you can put in it (4 for the 1000E, 10? for the 200E)...
>>
>> Either one you go with, you'll want one or more friends to help move it
>> (or a hand truck (even for the 1000E !)).
>
>   Ok, got a spare 1000E kicking around? ;)
>
>    -Dave

Heh - I got given a 1000E for free last week. Tell you what Dave, you can have it if you pay postage :-P

This particular one used to run the POS equipment at a supermarket and has a single system board with dual SM51, 256MB, serial MUX + serial. The internal disk board is interesting - holds four SCA SCSI disks and is cabled externally to an SBus wide SCSI card on the system board.

Looking at this machine, it is easy to see a direct lineal relationship to the deskside E4500. All the major design concepts have been carried straight through.

Regards,

Gavin