[rescue] I hope this is not a Hoax

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Jun 20 11:57:47 CDT 2003

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 12:43 PM, robert brooke gravitt wrote:

> On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 12:23 PM, Andrew Weiss wrote:
>
>> Nothing per se... it just wasn't matched to the CPU.
>>
>> I'd expect to see a board designed around the processor not jerry
>> rigged to work with it.
>>
>> an 88K based mac with 88K board arch or a 601 based mac with a 601
>> optimized board arch.
>>

> I just realized you guys were talking about M68000 series CPUs. I was
> thinking WTF is a 88K?

No I was talking about the ill-fated 88K... the 88000 and 88100.  The
RISC 88K was to succeed the 68K CISC design in both NeXT hardware and
the Macintosh (early on).  NeXT had a working set of prototypes before
they sh*t canned hardware in 1993.  Apple wasn't nearly as far along,
so they took IBM's 601 and used the motherboard that had been designed
for the 88K with modifications to house the 601.  This is part of the
reason the 603/604 boards are totally different and PCI only for the
most part as opposed to Nubus.

Andrew