[rescue] Perverse Question

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 03:20:55 CDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:16:41 -0400
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:
> With HTML spam, Kaaza/Gnutella/p2p, and "streaming media," I'll bet.
> I doubt the astronomy and physics department are flooding it with
> requests for peer reviews of new findings.

You might be a little surprised ...

I can't answer for the university down the road, but where I work we've
been very aggressive about blocking at least P2P traffic. Traditionally
sites connected via JANET (Uk academic network) pay for transatlantic
traffic; the cost of which gives us a big stick to clobber the holy
grail of academic freedom into submission.

And of the 1Gbps pipe we're installing, 300Mbps will be a dedicated
link to Cambridge for our cosmologists.

But yes, a lot of it's crap ... maybe 75%.