[rescue] Perverse Question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 19 22:54:14 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 05:07:44PM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> There is this whole notion that people using beowulfs are some sort of
> idiots who know nothing about computer architecture,

Who said that?

> when actually it is the opposite.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Embarrasingly parallel is what they are good at, but even then there is
no garantee it will be better than something like an Origin.

The whole beowulf thing is surrounded by a lot of dangerous hype spread
by clueless people who have never actually set one up.

Some locals got burned bad on beowulf systems, because they read all the
$50K supercomputer hype and believed it.

In any case, I wasn't suggesting anyone here is an idiot at all, I just
said a lot of people don't understand much about either type of system,
and I stand by that.