[rescue] A bit of Fun

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jun 19 22:47:53 CDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> >The 8-bit Atari line beat them to this. For all practical purposes,
> >Atari had USB in 1979.

> I loved the Atari 8-bit line... still have all mine.  It did indeed
> have a serial peripheral bus that you would daisy chain.

The really amusing part is it was kindof an accident.  Originally
they were going to use a parallel direct-cpu interface, with the
serial just for running a tape drive.  However, they were SUPER
paranoid about passing FCC inspection (the original Atari 800 had
a LOT of very THICK shielding) so they decided to just use
the serial port for everything.

--Kurt