[rescue] Perverse Question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 19 17:57:52 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:42:26PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Well...there are reasons why those firms typically run their big
> stuff on mainframes.

Both of you guys are in for a shock if you go work for a bank.

You'd be surprised what their downtime for critical stuff can be
sometimes.

No, not main accounts: that stuff is still on mainframes where I've
been, but credit processing and a lot of other stuff was frighteningly
fragile.

I don't even want to get into the management getting newbies to
'fat-finger' records of accounting to make the files balance.