[rescue] Perverse Question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 19 18:00:17 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 05:52:24PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >Heh, we have a beowulf system with tens of racks... stuffed with toasty
> >pentiums... does that make it a mainframe :-)....
>
>   No, it makes it a big pile of PCs on a network.  That Tandem was one
> computer.

So many people don't seem to understand the benefit of a single-instance
OS.

If you've ever worked with a few dozen or more individual systems in
a rack, and also something like a Tandem or an SGI Origin, then you
understand something painfully well: why the former is cheap, and why
the latter is expensive, and how nice having the latter can be.