[rescue] WTB: ISDN router, Cisco preferred

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Jun 18 09:41:05 CDT 2003

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 writes ...

> I have a customer who needs something equivalent to a Netopia R3100
> ISDN router.  Actually, I want to find something from Cisco that can
> run IOS and has enough oomph to do NAT, PPP and some firewalling.  It
> has to have an integrated NT1 as well.
>
> Suggestions as to what would be good would be most welcome.  If you
> have something that fits the bill, that is even better - email me off
> list as to what you have and how much you want for it.

It's not spare, but I'm using a Netopia 435 to route my little network here.
Works fine, and seems to firewall very well, judging from my logs.  Setup is
a bit finnicky.  The NAT part is a bit limited; unlike my previous set-up,
where any computer on my network could use PPTP to connect anywhere without
any set-up at the router, with this Netopia, I have to tell the router where
to send the incoming PPTP connection that results from the outgoing PPTP
login.

Other than that, it's Just Fine.

Like I said, the one I'm using isn't available, but I've seen one in the
relatively-local used computer store, and, since ISDN hardware isn't exactly
leaping off the shelves, it ought to be cheap.  I bought mine in the same
shop, NIB, for $20, though I expect that was exceptional, as it wasn't
marked, price-wise, and the counter dude seemed unusually slack, even for
RePC.

If you're interested, I can have my son pick one up on his way over here
today, but let me know quick!

-Shel